These cold winter days call for some warm milk with saffron threads. Saffron is the world’s most expensive spice. It has various healing properties, including helping to cleanse the blood and increase circulation. It also has sedative properties that help you relax, therefore, is consumed widely as a sleep aid. Saffron is also said to improve skin smoothness, blood pressure and memory. If you are looking for a goodnight’s sleep, make a glass of this milk, put on some warm socks, get a good book to read and head to bed. You will sleep very well.
In Tamil medicine, it is advised that pregnant women consume this to help blood circulation, control blood pressure and helping with mood swings. There are old wives tale saying this will increase the fairness of the baby, but that is completely false; saffron doesn’t play a role in the fairness of the baby, and neither should the fairness of the baby be of concern. You should also not consume this in excess during pregnancy because it can bring on uterine contractions. You should always consult a doctor before consuming anything new, especially during pregnancy and if you have other health concerns.
You can also add some lump sugar, crushed almonds and turmeric powder to this. Almond helps make this drink sweet. Make sure you brush your teeth an hour or so after so that you don’t go to sleep with yellow teeth!
- Milk - 1 cup
- Saffron threads - a pinch
- Turmeric powder (optional) - a pinch
- Almonds, crushed (2 tablespoons)
- Lump or rock sugar - to taste
- Warm milk on the stove, just until you know it will boil over.
- Add a pinch of saffron threads and stir.
- You can also alternatively add lump rock sugar, a pinch of turmeric powder and some crushed almonds if you like.
- Let it cool slightly to a temperature you are comfortable with and enjoy!
Idiyappam and Katharikai Poriyal (stringhoppers and fried eggplant) Sometimes it’s the simple dishes that taste the best #eelamflavour #homecooking#tamilfood #brunch #spices #instagood #instafood#foodie #chefsofinstagram #tamil #foodlover#foodblogger #foodblog