Mangai Sambal (Raw Green Mango Sambal)
It’s always about balance in Tamil dishes. There are a variety of different dishes that cater to different tastes – this is a great tangy side dish to accompany any meal. I really enjoy it with veggie dishes. It’s quick, simple, and adds a pop of colour to dishes (good to make when you’re entertaining).
- Raw Green Mango - 1, grated
- Ginger - thumb size, grated
- Coconut - two tablespoons
- Shallots - Diced finely, 3-4
- Lime/Lemon - Juice, 1-2 teaspoons
- Sugar - brown
- Mix grated raw green mango, grated ginger, shredded coconut, shallots and salt in a dish. Squeeze some lemon juice over the dish.
- Add half a tablespoon - 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and mix. (The amount depends on how sour your mango is, if it is ore sour, add a little bit more brown sugar).